What to expect

Reviews, or just chat, about films, TV, books and anything else that I feel like. I watch lot of films a while after they're released on DVD, hence the 'Tardy' title, plus I figure this gives me licence to talk about much older stuff if I want to.

I also have a youtube channel you might want to check out, with some silly homemade films and family movies:

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Movie Review: Welcome to Collinwood

Director: Anthony & Joe Russo
Starring: Sam Rockwell, William H Macy, Jennifer Esposito, George Clooney
UK Release Date: 23 April 2003
Tardy Review Date: 25 February 2011
Format: DVD

This is a film I just didn't bother to watch when it first came out.  It sounded like the kind of thing I'd be interested in and I heard good things about it, but I guess I decided not to see it, or at least never got around to it.   Since then I've seen bits and pieces of it on TV and so I figured it was time to watch the whole thing properly.

It's a comedy but it's not really played for out and out laughs for the most part, having more of an indie feel, with off-beat and darker humour filtered into the downbeat surroundings.  It follows the story of a poorly organised heist, carried out by some hapless and down at heel, third rate criminals.  They're all down on their luck and poor, with no prospects or hope, so when the idea of a big money job comes along, they fall over themselves to be involved.

George Clooney was on all the posters when this came out, as I recall, but he actually plays a pretty small part, with the focus being much more on the ensemble cast.  Rockwell and Macy are predictably good but the whole cast hold together really well and play off each other to make the dialogue and plot flow nicely.

Quirky slang is thrown into the dialogue, so the perfect job is called a Bellini, while a Mullinski is someone who takes the fall for someone else.  That and the way the incompetent, disorganised gang set about the job reminded me a lot of 'Things to do in Denver when you're dead', and I guess this is like a lighter version of that film in a lot of ways.  Whilst the tone of this film may be on the darker side of comedy, it's not in the same pessimistic league as Denver, and the despair a lot of the characters express is balanced with the promise of better things down the line.

Apparently the film was a flop when it was released, which is a real shame as it's an enjoyable caper movie with strong performances all round.  Clooney's influence as a producer is tangible, with his hallmark focus on left of mainstream fair.  Maybe that's why it didn't do so well, but it's also why it works in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment